Friday 29 December 2017

The Sound of Silence


For the past week, I have been more or less living like a hermit. I wanted to take the opportunity to live in silence except for the daily services and keep any kind of conversation to the absolute minimum. 
It would be easier if one were not permanently aware of the presence of the large group from France, or if they only understood the value of silence, but groups on vacations don't like to be told what they can and cannot do. There are one or two individuals in particular who seem incapable of eliminating hushed conversations, and whispers are a deafening soundtrack to someone who is trying to observe silence. 

When I relax into my old friend, to quote Simon & Garfunkel, the aural background soon ceases to distract me. If I focus my ears, I rapidly become aware of just how much is going on beyond the tap-tapping of my laptop keyboard.There is a distant rumble of traffic on the main road that runs a few hundred yards away. Closer to hand is the chop of a gardener's mattock breaking up the soil and the garble of his occasional exchange, in the Tamil language, with a colleague working nearby. More voices float over in the wind from residents of the nearby village and I hear the cowherd ushering his sacred charges along the track.

The birds are noisy, and there are calls that range from familiar to exotic. There are half a dozen peacocks, who strut around and let out a screeching catcall, competing with the familiar caws of scruffy black crows. 

My hut is surrounded by banana trees, with huge leaves that are up to five or six feet in length, and I am occasionally distracted by a flash of purple or emerald, as a multi-coloured butterfly floats silently by.

But silence is not always an inviting space to visit, as anyone who suffers from bouts of depression will be quick to remind you. I am not generally moody, but this retreat has given me a reminder of issues that I have tried to shelve or ignore through the past months. The gift of silence is that the mind invites you to revisit and explore, but our culture does not encourage such enforced pauses in the routine of modern life. 
There are pluses and minuses in taking excursions through experiences that have left scars on memories of 2017, but I wanted to wipe the slate clean before the end of the year. 
War-babies, all of us

My generation were war-babies and baby-boomers, and we are all now into our fourth quartile and want these remaining years to build happy memories, not let bad experiences fester and create a lingering sadness.

With these thoughts in mind, my silence here at the ashram has led me to a couple of New Year Resolutions. 
  • The past has happened: Regrets and resentment only hurt the one who holds them.
  • Healing is all about Forgiveness, - and forgiveness is all about Love.
It's all so darned obvious, and all so darned difficult. But time and the sound of silence are great healers.

- and don't take everything too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment