Wednesday 20 December 2017

December at the Ashram

The path between the huts
The ashram is quiet and peaceful, with both familiar faces and new guests. All are looking for the serene calm they have experienced on a previous visit, or have read about, and are searching for.
On my verandah
I've been here a week, and it’s not been quite what I expected. It’s not that the ashram has changed; it’s because this past year has had a big effect on me, and I am now in a space where I can reflect on the events of the year. 

I arrived at high speed because life has been like that for months. There had been no let-up of pressure of work in Bangalore: quite the reverse, in fact, as James Ambat had tossed over proposals that needed editing, and pitches that needed drafting, together with copy-writing that needed creating – and even a short autobiography that needed ghosting. 

Some days, my total exercise had been to come out of my room and descend a single flight of stairs to the dining area for the daily ritual of chicken curry, which is the mainstay of the Ambat residence. (I am mainly carnivorous at home, but I shall never understand the addiction to meat, here in India, - a country where the range of vegetable dishes is so extensive, varied, and delicious.)

I put myself under continuing pressure after arriving at the ashram in the wee, small hours of Sunday morning, by immediately writing the previous blog-post and then catching up with friends and family. 
Ongoing education for these children from the slums of Bangalore,
 - all funded through my charity "Escape from Poverty."



Then I started cataloguing my photos of the previous month and working on redesigned paperwork to cope with the nine pupils whose scholarships Escape from Poverty has so far raised. With a target of another dozen scholarships to be sourced within the next 4-6 months, I must have good paperwork in place, and it sends me into mild panics just thinking about it. I am now wondering whether Jeanette, my volunteer helper back in Lincoln, has had any luck sourcing a volunteer who can control and administer a system of documentation.  

And then my body caught up with me sometime on Saturday, with all the certainty of a sand-dune bringing a runaway car to a decisive stand-still. There was no crash, no physical breakdown, and no metaphorical air-bags ballooning out to save my life. The physical symptoms were neither dramatic nor violent; no raging temperature or nausea, and no shivering or dizziness. There was just a painfully clear, still, small voice in the tone of nanny being sensible with an over-excited little boy. “Why don’t you have a lie down? You’ll feel so much better.    

Since then I have tried to approach each day with renewed optimism, telling myself I felt much better and that it was probably the change of water affecting my gut, and sending me hurrying to the en-suite, but each day the symptoms reappeared, and the invisible nanny tucked me up mid-morning or afternoon, with soothing words of nothing to worry about and assuring me that all I needed was a good rest, because I had been overdoing things. I tried to argue that I have always been overdoing things, only to receive the unwelcome rebuff, that I am not as young as I used to be.

I have never believed in coincidences, and have always believed that everything happens for a reason. I think I was being strongly encouraged to look at the issues that have been worrying me, especially the arguments that have caused so much pain. It was time to take a critical look at my role in all of this, and accept some responsibility for the events, and accept that to a significant extent, I had brought all of this upon myself. I doubt if I would ever have thought about this if I had not come away to the peace and solitude of my hut in the banana grove, and I shall always be grateful that I discovered the Saccinananda ashram at Shantivanam, three years ago.

There is no compulsion to be involved in any of the services here, but I find it worthwhile to attend at least midday prayer and evening prayer. Sometimes I go to the early morning prayers and Eucharist, but I have never been a great enthusiast of daily Mass, as I think that such a practice detracts from the underlying message of that liturgy, - but that could be a whole book, and I am not going to go there today!

Brother John Martin

Breakfast follows the morning service, then guests are expected to help prepare vegetables as a practical contribution to the life of the ashram. It's just like old times in the kitchens of my restaurants, but I do wish I had remembered to pack my sharp chef's knife and a flat, level chopping board. 




Some people gather for a gossip over morning coffee later, and in the afternoon Brother John Martin, the theologian president of the community, hosts a talk and discussion, which is always interesting, and often controversial.
A corner of my "garden."






As I while away my time, I am reminded of a quip that my father used to love to tell, about the elderly Yorkshireman, who was asked how he passed his time. 

His answer is perfect:

“Well, sometimes I sits and thinks, and then sometimes, I just sits.”


Me too. Here, at the ashram, 
...sometimes I just sits.


For more information on my charity, go to:  

No comments:

Post a Comment