Thursday 2 November 2017

Heading for Heathrow

My travel memories on my office wall.
I monitor prices for the photo-printing company www.my-picture.co.uk, and every so often, the price of 40cm x 30cm canvas prints drops from thirty-something pounds to around a tenner, and that's when I add another one or two travel memories to my bedroom wall. There are many memories already on display: an open gateway at a retreat centre in Wales, the tram lines going into the Berlin Wall 3 months after it went up; teenage girls on the beach in France, and a memorable lunch in the sun near Carcassonne earlier this year.

In the coming weeks, my camera will come into service again when I start on a new fund-raising project to support my charity, Escape from Poverty. I am copying the idea of  Khora, one of the refugee organisations I came across when I was in Greece last year. 
Volunteers at the Khora community centre in Athens

They produced an artistic photo-book which they sold to raise funds. 

Inspired by this, I am working on a commercial project to fund the design and production of a full colour "coffee-table book" illustrating the life of children in Bangalore, and the educational projects supported by my charity. This book will then be offered for sale to raise funds for scholarships.

My son-in-law has given me his Nikon digital SLR now that he has upgraded to something even more technically complicated, and although my pocket Canon and my mobile phone take good pictures, I look forward to getting my hands on a real camera again.
One week from now I shall be (in sh'Allah) at LHR T5, nervously wondering if I have packed everything. 


An invitation to the party
My trip includes the Indian Children's Day Festival on November 11th, then a fortnight in Bangalore, planning the 2018 marketing strategy, and setting up organisational procedures before I fly off for a side-trip to Mumbai to see the projects of Aarti Naik with girls' education in slum districts around the city.
The chapel/temple at Shantivanam
Back briefly to Bangalore, and then I'll take the night train for the 8-hour journey to the monastery/ashram where I shall spend Christmas and New Year.

If you are on the mailing list for the Escape from Poverty newsletter, you will receive an email link to this blog each time I add a new post.
This blog is also promoted on my Facebook page. 

Please feel free to share widely. 

You can support Escape from Poverty here: MyDonate.


No comments:

Post a Comment