Sunday 24 April 2016

Pack up your troubles in your old kitbag . . .

This week's blog is on a lighter note - true story!

A year ago, I traded in a slightly faulty piece of luggage without any quibble with the lovely people at Karabars and acquired a large but cheap backpack. 
Great Value - http://www.karabars.co.uk/

As I wrote in my blog when I set off with this luggage to India, it was a nostalgic purchase that (almost) made me feel 50 years younger. Unlike the buckles and belts of the Army-surplus rucksack of my younger days, this bright-red 120-litre monster had zips everywhere, which gave a tidy finish, but were somewhat fiddly. They had silly little tabs that consistently pulled off and, in the end, I replace the tab on each zip with a carefully knotted, short length of cord that was decidedly more secure.

Alas, after a few weeks in India, I had to declare that my backpacking days are over. At any point where my bags needed carrying, I was surrounded by a swarm of porters, touting for my load, and then masterfully striding off with my pack on their head and my other bag swinging casually from the shoulder, taking a load off my back and a worry off my mind. 
More than once, my legs had nearly buckled under me as I tried to wriggle my way into positioning the load comfortably on my shoulders. I envisioned myself prone on the platform of the railway station, like a tortoise cruelly turned onto its back, flapping helplessly. For a few rupees invested in a porter who needed the work, my journeys around India were decidedly less stressful.

Consequently, when I decided to join the volunteers working with refugees in Athens, I realised that my backpack would be welcomed by a refugee to carry their worldly possessions towards the Eldorado of a land where they might find the opportunity to rebuild a life, a home and a future for their children. I filled my backpack with items listed as needed by refugees in Athens and donated it, fully loaded, to one of the volunteer groups for distribution.

Earlier this week, I was in Victoria Square, where refugees congregate every evening to exchange news, rumours and gossip when I saw a family waiting to cross the road. Mother had a tight grip on two young children, and Father paused to hump his luggage higher on his shoulders as they looked for a gap in the traffic. There was something familiar about the way that he hooked his thumbs under the straps just as I had done. Then, as he walked past me, I saw that the tabs on each of the zips had been replaced with a carefully knotted, short length of cord.

I would have loved to stop him, give him a hug and wish him well, but I could not think of how I could express my joyful emotions at seeing my backpack being put to good use. I just paused and watched them walk away, Mum, Dad and two young boys. My only thought was the hope that they will find the new life that they are searching for.

Every day, the group I work with is producing and distributing about 1,200 hot and nutritious meals. If you would like to contribute to our running costs, please follow the link to my fund-raising page. Every penny goes to food, equipment and items needed by refugees on their journey. The fund is titled "Samos" but we now operate across and around Athens

2 comments:

  1. Great story Bob! What a nice reward that you actually saw your backpack being helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just occasionally those bits of encouraging feedback occur. News is here the government's just been defeated on the admission of refugee children - though what it means is a different matter.... Pax, D

    ReplyDelete